A fast and insanely delicious creamy pesto sauce with simple ingredients, perfect for busy weeknights. Amped up with extra garlic, parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup single or light cream (see notes)
- 25 grams parmesan, finely grated
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Pasta of your choice (see notes)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat and fry the garlic for 1 - 2 minutes, a gentle sizzle. The garlic shouldn't colour or burn.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add the cream. Bring to a very gentle simmer, it should never boil.
- Add the finely grated parmesan in two lots, letting each half melt into the cream before moving on.
- Add the pesto, black pepper and lemon juice and mix well.
- Let it simmer very gently for 1 - 2 minutes to thicken.
- Add the cooked pasta straight in, mix and let it gently bubble away for a further 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add a splash of pasta water if you need to loosen the sauce.
- Cream - I prefer using light or single cream so it can thicken with the parmesan. Use heavy cream if you prefer but you might need to loosen with pasta water.
- Pasta - Use whatever shape you like. I always weight portions to take the guess work out. 100 grams dried per person or 150 grams fresh per person.
- Cook Time: 15 minutes