An easy and quick herby arugula pesto that you can customise however you like! Rocket adds such a fresh yet peppery note to an otherwise standard basil pesto. Turned into a sauce with a splash of pasta water this herby rocket pesto will become a go to quick dinner.
- Pasta of your choice
- 70g pine nuts, toasted if you want
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups rocket
- 2 cups basil
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 65g parmesan, finely grated with a microplane, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 tsp honey (optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil (approx, it can be a bit less or more depending on your preference)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Zest of a lemon to serve
- Burrata to serve (optional....but is it though?!)
- In a food processor blend the pine nuts and garlic until coarse.
- Add the rocket, basil and parsley and blend until almost smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the olive oil, lemon juice, parmesan and honey.
- Check for seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Get a pot of water boiling and salt it liberally.
- Add your pasta and cook to the instructions.
- When your pasta is almost done put your pesto (however much you are using) in a pan over low heat and heat it gently.
- Add a splash of pasta water (approx 1/4 cup) and mix well to create a sauce. Add your pasta in and let it gently simmer in the pesto for a minute. Add more pasta water if you you need to loosen it more.
- Serve onto heated bowls or plates then top with the burrata, lemon zest and extra parm.
- Season to taste and enjoy!
- Don't drain your pasta, I like to transfer it straight from the water into the sauce. That means the pasta water is sitting there if you need more.
- Feel free to use any other herbs you like, have an experiment!
- You could use half parmesan and half pecorino as an option
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins